Jonathan Hadfield headed to Silverstone to compete in the Ginetta Junior Championship’s penultimate round on the national circuit. This took place on the 26th and 27th of September. The Friday prior to the race weekend is a practice day for the support races to the BTCC. In the first practice session on Friday Jonathan posted a best lap time of 1:11.131 which placed him fourth on live timings. In the second practice session he posted a time of 1:11.128 which placed him 11th on the live timing.

Saturday brought qualifying round at 14:05. When the chequered flag fell Jonathan had qualified to start race one from seventeenth on the grid after having lap times disallowed and removed due to exceeding track limits. Jonathan was not the only person to have lap times disallowed, the four other drivers to have lap times removed were; Sebastian Perez, Ben Green, Rowan Bailey and Dan Zelos.

Race one took place at 16:30 on Saturday, Jonathan lined up in seventeenth ready to start the race. He got past a few drivers on the first five laps. At this point he was up into 12th place. On lap six, Jonathan ran wide and dropped down to seventeenth. On lap eight three cars went off at Brooklands, this put Jonathan back into thirteenth, behind Geri Nicosia. Jonathan tried his hardest to get past, but Geri kept his foot in and held him off. On the final lap Jonathan tried harder to get past Geri and this time made the move stick as they went into Becketts. Jonathan finished in twelfth, just an eighth of a second in front of Geri.

Jonathan chasing down Geri Nicosia during race one (Credit:Tilley Photography)

Sunday brought race two, which took place at 11:15. Jonathan would start this race from eleventh after team mate Kyle Hornby got a six place grid penalty for an incident in the previous race. Jonathan got a good start and managed to go round the outside of Geri Nicosia as they went through Copse. Devlin Defrancesco cut across the grass at Becketts, spinning across right in front of Jonathan. On lap three the safety car was deployed so that Devlin’s car could be recovered from the gravel at Becketts, where it had been since lap one. The field had two laps behind the safety car, Jonathan managed to make up a few places but then contact from Billy Monger sent him off track. He ended race two in eighteenth.


© Fay Tilley 4th October 2015.