The team received Steve Slawson’s engine just seventy-two hours before they were due to be testing at Cadwell Park. The team took time to thoroughly inspect every aspect of the car and discovered a few issues that they had previously missed when checking the car over. After sourcing the parts needed the team began to rebuild the car on the 29th of March. They worked all throughout the day until 5am the next morning to get the car up to the standard they wanted it at. The car was running perfectly when they left for the Civic Cup dyno, they were running the maximum power allowed in the championship.

The team then headed to Cadwell Park for a shakedown, the car ran faultlessly throughout the day with only minor adjustments needing to be done to find the ideal set up. At the end of the test session the team were feeling rather tired so decided to get some rest before they needed to head to Oulton Park. The team arrived at Oulton Park, located in Cheshire, late on Thursday evening ready for the test day on Friday ahead of the race weekend. They were feeling really confident that they could do really well during the opening rounds of the championship.


Picture Credit:

During Friday morning’s test session Steve was running about a second off the pace of his fellow Tegiwa Civic Cup competitors, he put this down to being a totally unfamiliar track and the other competitors being familiar with the track. Whilst partaking in the afternoon test session, the other competitors were beginning to set faster lap times but Steve didn’t seem to have the pace as others did. He realised something was wrong, but didn’t know what it could be.

Saturday brought round the qualifying session, the weather was extremely poor as it was pouring down with rain and visibility was near to none. This meant Steve didn’t qualify as well as he had hoped he would. Race one took place later in the day, Steve started the race from last on the grid alongside Dale Parkinson. The race was once again wet, he managed to get a good start, this was the first time that Steve was able to compare his car to the other competitors in his class. He soon realised that he was lacking pace down the straights. He was extremely disappointed as he had managed to avoid all the incidents during the race and kept the car on the track to finish the race. He finished race one in 22nd place overall, seventh in class A.

Race two saw Steve promoted onto pole in Class A, with Tim Evans alongside. He got a good start but after only one lap of the race having been completed, several cars had managed to pull away from Steve down the straights. He was now running in sixth place, he managed to hold the position and cross the line after the nine lap long race to take eighteenth overall, sixth in class.

Steve left Oulton Park feeling extremely disappointed with the way the weekend had gone. He studied footage taken from his car during the race as well as other drivers’ footage, as a result of this Steve is now considering his options as to what he wants to race in after such a disappointing race weekend.


© Fay Tilley 12th  April 2016