Mark Hughes headed to Brands Hatch to participate in round two of the season in the Tegiwa Civic Cup. Overnight and most of Sunday morning it had rained. It only stopped raining an hour before the Civics headed out for qualifying, this meant the track was starting to dry but still damp and slippery. The main noticeable place that standing water was still visible was at Paddock Hill bend. Mark headed out into the qualifying session being very cautious ensuring he didn’t have any offs.  Mark was just beginning to set competitive and good qualifying lap times as the track was beginning to dry off a bit more. Quite a few of the drivers were beginning to push the limits of their cars as well as the track to see if they were able to improve their lap times. One of the drivers pushing the limits spun out at Paddock Hill bend and ended up in the gravel trap, this brought out double yellow waved flags meaning nobody could overtake around that section of the circuit whilst the recovery of the car was underway. After the car had been cleared up and removed from the gravel there were only two laps of the session to go, Mark knew he had to fight his way to the end of the session and try and achieve the best lap times he could. He fought his way to the flag, from seventh down to twenty-second were covered by just two seconds. When crossing the line to take the flag to end the qualifying session Mark was twentieth, but sixteenth in class B.

Race one took place a little later on Sunday, Mark got an almost perfect start off the line only for the session to be red flagged due to a mix up during the start in the Class A cars. The session was restarted and Mark managed to get a good start only to go on and receive a hit to the front of the car. From then on he struggled to get the car performing how he wanted it to until the final couple of laps. He had some really good battles throughout the race and managed to bring the car home in sixteenth.

During the break between race one and two Mark made a few set up changes to the car. The track fully dried up before the Civics headed out onto the circuit for race two, Mark got another blinding start off the line. By the time he crossed the line to go onto lap two he was up into eleventh. Unfortunately, Mark began dropping back due to his tyres not being warmed up to the right temperature yet. However, he managed to fight his way back up through some of the pack. He had great fun battling with his fellow competitors to go on and take twelfth at the flag. Twelfth is Mark’s best finish in the Tegiwa Civic Cup up until now.

His focus will now turn to the next round of the championship at Croft where he hopes to be able to improve on his best finishing position. He enjoyed every moment of the great racing by all of the competitors in the Tegiwa Civic Cup during the race weekend at Brands Hatch.