The Pirtek Racing Ford Focus run by Motorbase topped the times during the first free practice of the race weekend at Thruxton. Andrew Jordan headed to the Hampshire circuit with a lot of people expecting a lot from him during this weekend. He arrived at the circuit ballast free after dropping down the order in the championship points.
Jordan has a quite impressive history around the high speed circuit after he took pole position three times in the last four seasons of visiting the circuit. Although he will be looking to improve and hopefully get a win or two throughout the weekend.
He quickly showed people how strong the Motorbase Ford Focus was as he topped the time sheets during the opening session. Jordan lead the session from early on until the end with Triple Eight MG’s Josh Cook finished the session in second aboard the RCIB Insurance Racing backed MG6. Josh Cook was only 0.024 seconds behind Jordan.
A few drivers made improvements late on during the session but not many made any changes occur to the top ten on the live timing screens. Meanwhile, some drivers and teams faced much bigger problems during the opening practice session. One of the drivers that suffered during the practice session was WSR’s Sam Tordoff. His session was cut short after suffering from fuel pressure issues in his BMW 125i.
Meanwhile Colin Turkington’s Subaru came to a stop on circuit at the final chicane during the session. Turkington went on to set the third fastest time of the session. With ten minutes of the session remaining a red flag was brought out after Adam Morgan suffered a high speed crash on the exit of Allard after having tyre failure around the high speed circuit. Luckily enough, Morgan was absolutely fine and walked away unharmed but the same could not be said about his WIX Racing backed Mercedes A-Class. The team were adamant they would get the car back out in time for the second free practice session. Although he suffered the crash Morgan ended the first session in the top ten.
Mat Jackson aboard the second Motorbase Performance run Ford Focus showed how strong the cars were around the circuit after finishing the session in fourth place, just one place ahead of local driver Rob Collard aboard his Team JCT60 with GardX BMW.
Tom Ingram suffered punctures during the session as the team were trying to get the right set up for the car ahead of qualifying and the races. The Speedworks Motorsport Toyota still came home in sixth place on the timing screens. West Surrey Racing’s Jack Goff and Sam Tordoff made it three BMWs within the top eight on the live timing screens. Jeff Smith aboard the Eurotech Racing Honda Civic Type R followed them home in ninth.
The fastest lap times from the opening session are as follows:
- Andrew Jordan ~ Motorbase Performance ~ 1:16.814
- Josh Cook ~ MG Racing RCIB Insurance ~ + 0.024s
- Colin Turkington ~ Silverline Subaru BMR Racing ~ +0.408s
- Mat Jackson ~ Motorbase Performance ~ 0.420s
- Robert Collard ~ Team JCT600 Racing with GardX ~ +0.557s
- Tom Ingram ~ Speedworks Motorsport ~ +0.583s
- Sam Tordoff ~ Team JCT600 with GardX ~ +0.729s
- Jack Goff ~ Team IHG Rewards Club ~ +0.767s
- Jeff Smith ~ Eurotech Racing ~ +0.773s
- Adam Morgan ~ WIX Racing ~ +0.822s
- Matt Neal ~ Halfords Yuasa Racing ~ +0.835s
- Gordon Shedden ~ Halfords Yuasa Racing ~ +0.860s
- Ashley Sutton ~ MG Racing RCIB Insurance ~ +0.919s
- Hunter Abbott ~ Power Maxed Racing ~ +1.053s
- Daniel Lloyd ~ Eurotech Racing ~ +1.069
- Rob Austin ~ Handy Motorsport ~ +1.088s
- Jake Hill ~ RCIB Insurance Racing ~ +1.191s
- Aron Smith ~ BKR ~ +1.377
- Daniel Welch ~ Goodstone Racing ~ +1.482s
- Ollie Jackson ~ AMD Tuning.com ~ +1.541s
- Jason Plato ~ Silverline Subaru BMR Racing ~ +1.547s
- Michael Epps ~ RCIB Insurance Racing ~ +1.659s
- Matt Simpson ~ Speedworks Motorsport ~ 1.743s
- Aiden Moffat ~ Laser Tools Racing ~ +1.894s
- James Cole ~ Silverline Subaru BMR Racing ~ +1.904s
- Mark Howard ~ BKR ~ +2.085s
- Martin Depper ~ Eurotech Racing ~ 2.190s
- Warren Scott ~ Silverline Subaru ~ 2.192s
- Kelvin Fletcher ~ Power Maxed Racing ~ +2.519s
- Alex Martin ~ Dextra Racing ~ +2.800s
- Stewart Lines ~ Maximum Motorsport ~ 3.298s
- Chris Smiley ~ TLC / RCIB Insurance Racing ~ No Time Set
© Fay Tilley 9th May 2016.