Mat Jackson aboard his Duo backed Ford Focus made it two wins for the Motorbase Performance squad after claiming the race three victory after Andrew Jordan won race two at Thruxton. The win at the Hampshire circuit was Jackson’s second victory during the 2016 campaign so far. Adam Morgan is the only other driver to secure two wins during the first three race weekends of the year.
Motorbase’s Jackson managed to fire his Focus past pole sitter Dan Welch in his Proton off the line. Even though Jackson was kept under pressure from the chasing pack, he was able to keep within the track limits and take the victory during the weekends finale.
During the opening lap Dan Welch and Sam Tordoff went side by side until Tordoff’s BMW went wide at Seagrave going onto the grass. Dan Welch was cheered on by the packed bankings of spectators to keep the other cars behind and not let them pass whilst he was chasing down Jackson. On lap five the Goodstone Racing driver was unlucky as a bolt snapped on the car sending him off track and into a tyre barrier, Welch was unharmed in the incident but was gutted to miss out on what could have been a podium finish. This weekend proved to the team what they are capable of and has given them more confidence for the future races.
WSR’s Collard and Halfords Yuasa Racing’s Shedden both managed to recover from contact suffered at Club on lap seven. On lap seven Andrew Jordan in his beautiful Pirtek backed Ford Focus was forced to retire with a puncture.
Jack Goff aboard the Team IHG Rewards Club backed BMW inherited second place on the road until Matt Neal’s Honda Civic Type R pushed past on lap eight. Worse was yet to come for the BMW driver, as Shedden began attacking him for third Goff locked up his rears as they headed towards the final chicane. The pair made contact, Shedden then went on to retire his Honda just after crossing the start/finish line. Goff went on to only manage an eighteenth place finish.
The third place on the podium went to Ciceley Racing’s Adam Morgan, this making it a hatrick of podiums for the WIX backed driver during the three rounds at the high speed circuit. Morgan crossed the line just 0.198 seconds ahead of Josh Cook and Ashley Sutton in their MG6s.
West Surrey Racing’s Rob Collard went on to take sixth as well as leaving the circuit with the joint lead of the overall championship alongside Matt Neal. Handy Motorsport’s Rob Austin and WSR’s Sam Tordoff drove well to take seventh and eighth.
Rounding out the top ten included two very talented young drivers, Daniel Lloyd took ninth place and the Jack Sears Trophy honours from the weekend. This showed Eurotech just how good of a driver Lloyd can be. Meanwhile, Michael Epps took his best result in the British Touring Car Championship in tenth place. A successful weekend for the RCIB Insurance Racing driver as he secured points in all three races.
The race three classification is as follows:
- Mat Jackson ~ Motorbase Performance ~ 12 Laps
- Matt Neal ~ Halfords Yuasa Racing ~ +256s
- Adam Morgan ~ WIX Racing~ +4.568s
- Josh Cook ~ MG Racing RCIB Insurance ~ +4.766s
- Ashley Sutton ~ MG Racing RCIB Insurance ~ +5.006s
- Robert Collard ~ Team JCT600 Racing with GardX ~ +5.460s
- Rob Austin ~ Handy Motorsport ~ +6.082s
- Sam Tordoff ~ Team JCT600 Racing with GardX ~ +6.291s
- Daniel Lloyd ~ Eurotech Racing ~ +10.533s
- Michael Epps ~ RCIB Insurance Racing ~ +11.333s
- Jeff Smith ~ Eurotech Racing~ +11.494s
- Martin Depper ~ Eurotech Racing ~ +11.874s
- Jake Hill ~ RCIB Insurance Racing~ +16.867s
- Ollie Jackson ~ AmD Tuning.com~ +18.070s
- Alex Martin ~ Dextra Racing~ +18.440s
- Chris Smiley ~ TLC/RCIB Insurance Racing ~ +22.365s
- Kelvin Fletcher~ Power Maxed Racing ~ +24.336s
- Jack Goff ~ Team IHG Rewards Club ~ +27.363s
- Mark Howard ~ BKR ~ +42.473s
- Stewart Lines ~ Maximum Motorsport ~+1m07.088s
- Andrew Jordan ~ Motorbase Performance ~ +1 lap
- Aiden Moffat ~ Laser Tools Racing ~ +1 lap
- DNF Gordon Shedden ~ Halfords Yuasa Racing ~ +2 laps
- DNFMatt Simpson ~ Speedworks Motorsport ~ +3 laps
- DNF Tom Ingram ~ Speedworks Motorsport ~ +4 laps
- DNFDaniel Welch ~ Goodstone Racing ~ +8 laps
- DNFHunter Abbott ~ Power Maxed Racing ~ +9 laps
- DNFAron Smith ~ BKR ~ +11 laps
©Fay Tilley 12th May 2016.