Tom Ingram set the fastest lap time of the weekend in the second free practice session at Thruxton. The Speedworks Motorsport driver ended the session more than half of a second quicker than his nearest competitor. Ingram took his maiden pole position during the season opening round at Brands Hatch in the beginning of April. He arrived at the Hampshire circuit with no ballast on board his Toyota Avensis and the form he showed proved he could be a main contender during the season. Tom Ingram set a lap time of 1:16.542 during the second session of the weekend, it was within four tenths of the qualifying lap record. It was also more than half of a second faster than the other competitors.
Andrew Jordan managed to follow up on his pace setting performance during free practice one with a second place finish during the second session. Aiden Moffat starred during the session with a late flying lap to take third in his Laser Tools Racing run Mercedes A-Class.
West Surrey Racing’s Jack Goff continued to impress in his BMW after making the switch to rear wheel drive machinery for this season. The Team IHG Rewards Club driver was the highest placed BMW during the session, he finished in fourth.
Ashley Sutton finished the session in fifth but was only able to complete nine laps due to mechanical gremlins returning to attack. The MG Triple Eight team knew the MG6 had the pace but were struggling with mechanical gremlins during the practice sessions. Josh Cook was only able to manage a nineteenth place finish but they were adamant not to let it stop their success.
The WIX Racing team managed to repair the damaged Mercedes A-Class in time for Morgan to go out in the second free practice session where he finished in a respectable sixth place.
Team BKR’s Aron Smith continued his strong performance in the VW CC as he always does around the Hampshire circuit. He ended the second free practice session in seventh ahead of an impressing Rob Austin in the Handy Motorsport run Toyota Avensis. Fan favourite Austin is slowly getting to grips with front wheel drive as he switched from an Audi A4 to a Toyota Avensis.
Eurotech Racing’s Jeff Smith and Motorbase’s Mat Jackson rounded out the top ten finishers during the second session while Hunter Abbot showed good pace to finish eleventh.
Three multiple champions were left stranded down towards the bottom of the order. Gordon Shedden finished eighteenth and Matt Neal finished twentieth whilst trying to get used to the ballasted up Honda Civic Type R around the high speed circuit. Meanwhile, Jason Plato continued to help to develop the new Subaru Levorg for Team BMR. Plato finished the session in twenty-first.
The times from the second free practice are as follows:
- Tom Ingram ~ Speedworks Motorsport ~ 1:16.542s
- Andrew Jordan ~ Motorbase Performance ~ +0.503s
- Aiden Moffat ~ Laser Tools Racing ~ +0.600s
- Jack Goff ~ Team IHG Rewards Club ~ 0.625s
- Ashley Sutton ~ MG Racing RCIB Insurance ~ +0.643s
- Adam Morgan ~ WIX Racing ~ +0.987s
- Aron Smith ~ Team BKR ~ +1.084s
- Rob Austin ~ Handy Motorsport ~ +1.256s
- Jeff Smith ~ Eurotech Racing ~ 1.292s
- Mat Jackson ~ Motorbase Performance ~ +1.315s
- Hunter Abbott ~ Power Maxed Racing ~ 1.347s
- Daniel Lloyd ~ Eurotech Racing ~ +1.414s
- Colin Turkington ~ Silverline Subaru BMR Racing ~ +1.520s
- Sam Tordoff ~ Team JCT600 with GardX ~ +1.579s
- Daniel Welch ~ Goodstone Racing ~ +1.622s
- Rob Collard ~ Team JCT600 with GardX ~ +1.625s
- Martin Depper ~ Eurotech Racing ~ +1.687s
- Gordon Shedden ~ Halfords Yuasa Racing ~ +1.690s
- Josh Cook ~ MG Racing RCIB Insurance ~ +1.723s
- Matt Neal ~ Halfords Yuasa Racing ~ +1.810s
- Jason Plato ~ Silverline Subaru BMR Racing ~ +2.059s
- Jake Hill ~ RCIB Insurance Racing ~ +2.113s
- Kelvin Fletcher ~ Power Maxed Racing ~ +2.209s
- Matt Simpson ~ Speedworks Motorsport ~ +2.322s
- Warren Scott ~ Silverline Subaru BMR Racing ~ +2.405s
- Alex Martin ~ Dextra Racing ~ +2.610s
- Ollie Jackson ~ AMD Tuning.com ~ +2.912s
- James Cole ~ Silverline Subaru BMR Racing ~ +3.176s
- Chris Smiley ~ TLC/RCIB Insurance Racing ~ +3.212s
- Stewart Lines ~ Maximum Motorsport ~ +3.906s
- Mark Howard ~ Team BKR ~ +4.271s
- Michael Epps ~ RCIB Insurance Racing ~ +5.703s
©Fay Tilley 12th May 2016.