Barwell Motorsport’s Phil Keen posted a late flying lap which helped him top the second free practice session at Oulton Park whilst PMW Expo Racing/Optimum Motorsport’s Mike Robinson topped the GT4 field times.

Barwell’s Phil Keen had been leading the session until they reached the final ten minutes when Jonny Adam in his TF Sport run Aston Martin set quicker lap times twice. Keen fought back and banged in a lap time of 1:34.630 to beat Adam’s time by 0.097 seconds. A red flag brought the session to an abrupt end meaning Jonny Adam was unable to fight back against Keen’s time.

In the Barwell sister car Adam Carroll underlined the teams pace by putting the second of the Lamborghini Huracans in third place on the timing screens. He was 0.235 seconds behind Phil Keen’s lap time but three tenths clear of Ross Gunn in the Beachdean run Aston Martin, who was in fourth.

Team Parker Racing’s Seb Morris finished the session in fifth ahead of the second TF Sport run Aston Martin in the hands of Jon Barnes. Seventh place was Black Bull Ecurie Ecosse’s Rob Bell in the McLaren 650S. rounding out the top eight was Joe Osborne in the BMW Z4. The top eight cars were covered by just 1.4 seconds.

Mike Robinson went on to do better than he had managed in free practice one by topping the timing screens of the second session. Robinson’s lap time was 1:44.006, just 0.007 seconds off of Nathan Freke’s FP1 time. Although Robinson’s lap time was good enough to keep the lead of the second session throughout the whole duration. Scott Malvern finished the second session in second. It was a mixed session for the Simpson Motorsport team, they had been left hopeful by Scott Malvern’s pace but then they had a big repair job to do after a bizarre incident occurred with co-driver Nick Jones in the car. The incident that occurred was that the front splitter had dug in and lodged itself under the car after he ran wide at Cascades, fortunately the small fire that occurred after the grass ignited only caused some cosmetic damage.

The Ginetta cars had locked out the top three but Ciaran Haggerty and Sandy Mitchell aboard their Black Bull Ecurie Ecosse McLarren 570S managed to set a lap time quick enough to snatch third place on the timing screens, knocking Anna Walewska and Nathan Freke down to fourth.

Generation AMR SuperRacing’s Matthew George rounded out the top five on the timing screens, although they were down by 1.2 seconds on Robinson’s leading time. Matty Graham and Jack Mitchell in their Macmillan Racing V8 Vantage featured in the first dozen for the second time in the day.
© Fay Tilley 29th May 2016.