Silverline Subaru BMR Racing’s Colin Turkington managed to take his maiden win aboard his Subaru Levorg during race one of the weekend. He managed to claim victory after leading from lights to the chequered flag during the opening race. The two-time champion managed to get a good start from pole position and was able to fend off Sam Tordoff in the JCT600 with GardX backed BMW to gradually open up a gap between the two during the late stage of the race.
After having such a tough start to the year the team were absolutely delighted to finally get the monkey off their back after Turkington secured the first win for the team. Whilst Turkinton lead from start to finish Tordoff enjoyed a trouble free race after passing Daniel Lloyd’s Honda at the start.
Lloyd fought extremely hard during the race although he was pushed back down as more experienced drivers managed to get past the rookie. Gordon Shedden aboard the Honda managed to pass by at the Island Hairpin on the second lap. Jason Plato followed in an aggressive way to pass on the seventh lap.
Ingram pipped Lloyd on the line to take fifth with the latter taking seventh just 0.139 seconds apart.
Gordon Shedden’s podium finish came under threat when Jason Plato started closing in on the Honda. Fans loved seeing the two former champions battling side by side around the Cheshire circuit. Shedden, the reigning champion, kept on defending over the following laps before Plato managed to push the nose of the Levorg up the inside. Plato made the move stick on the Honda and managed to pull away to take third place.
Tom Ingram was battling with the two MGs before Ashley Sutton fell back down the order from sixth as the battle got too aggressive at Knickerbrook. Cook took seventh place at the chequered flag behind Ingram and Lloyd. Aron Smith took eight followed by Matt Neal to take ninth with Motorbase’s Andrew Jordan bringing his Pirtek backed Focus home in tenth.
Rob Collard lost his shared championship lead after he was tapped into a spin by Eurotech Racing’s Jeff Smith, he finished the race down in twenty-third.
Mat Jackson just missed out on the points as he brought the Ford Focus home in sixteenth. Meanwhile Adam Morgan only managed to bring his troubled Mercedes home in twenty-fourth.
The race was filled with great racing all the way down the order of the pack. One of the major duels noticed by cameras was the side-by-side battle between Laser Tools Racing’s Aiden Moffat and Handy Motorsport’s Rob Austin. The duo ran side by side for the best part of one lap of the 2.26-mile-long lap with a gaggle of cars tailing behind them.
During the opening race of the weekend all thirty-two cars managed to finish the race and be classified at the finish. There was one major worrying sign on the slowing down lap as Warren Scott had to pull off the circuit due to his Silverline backed Subaru Levorg began to catch fire. The owner of Team BMR had taken the flag to take seventeenth with James Cole following behind in eighteenth before the car began to show slight flames, Scott managed to exit the car and help extinguish the flames before any serious damage was done.
The finishing order of race one was as follows:
- Colin TURKINGTON ~ Silverline Subaru BMR Racing
- Sam TORDOFF ~ Team JCT600 Racing with GardX
- Jason PLATO ~ Silverline Subaru BMR Racing
- Gordon SHEDDEN ~ Halfords Yuasa Racing
- Tom INGRAM ~ Speedworks Motorsport
- Dan LLOYD ~Eurotech Racing
- Josh COOK ~ MG Racing RCIB Insurance
- Aron SMITH ~ BKR
- Matt NEAL ~ Halfords Yuasa Racing
- Andrew JORDAN ~ Motorbase Performance
- Hunter ABBOTT ~ Power Maxed Racing
- Jack GOFF ~ Team IHG Rewards Club
- Jake HILL ~ RCIB Insurance Racing
- Martin DEPPER ~ Eurotech Racing
- Rob AUSTIN ~ Handy Motorsport
- Mat JACKSON ~ Motorbase Performance
- Warren SCOTT ~Silverline Subaru BMR Racing
- James COLE ~ Silverline Subaru BMR Racing
- Ashley SUTTON ~ MG Racing RCIB Insurance
- Daniel WELCH ~ Goodstone Racing
- Jeff SMITH ~ Eurotech Racing
- Matt SIMPSON ~ Speedworks Motorsport
- Robert COLLARD ~ Team JCT600 Racing with GardX
- Adam MORGAN ~ WIX Racing
- Michael EPPS ~ RCIB Insurance Racing
- Ollie JACKSON ~ AmD Tuning.com
- Stewart LINES ~Maximum Motorsport
- Chris SMILEY ~ TLC Racing
- Kelvin FLETCHER ~ Power Maxed Racing
- Alex MARTIN ~ Dextra Racing
- Mark HOWARD ~ BKR
- Aiden MOFFAT ~ Laser Tools Racing
©Fay Tilley 5th June 2016.