Speedwork’s driver Tom Ingram showed what he is capable of during the first free practice session of the weekend at Oulton Park, located in Cheshire. He left it late to shock everyone when he topped the timing screens.
During the 2016 British Touring Car Championship Ingram has taken two of the pole positions available during the opening three events of the year. Oulton Park is the local track to the Speedwork’s Motorsport team. The Toyota Avensis is still continuing to prove how well it can perform around the different circuits on the 2016 calendar. Oulton Park is known for its tight twisty circuit layout, during the free practice session there were three drivers from three different teams trying to fight to top the times and gain the pace setting bragging rights.
BKR’s Aron Smith was the first of the three drivers to break into the 1:26 lap times, following him was Andrew Jordan aboard his Ford Focus. Finally it was Gordon Shedden in his Honda Civic Type R. The Halfords Yuasa Racing duo of Shedden and Matt Neal took over half of the session to complete a flying lap time but Shedden showed that the Type R is one to watch after setting a fast lap.
After the chequered flag was shown it was Ingram on top of the times with Aron Smith behind in second, Gordon Shedden in third and Andrew Jordan in fourth. Jack Goff finished the session in fifth and Hunter Abbott in sixth. The top six were made up of six different makes of cars. Dan Lloyd aboard his Eurotech Racing Honda Civic Type R finished the session in seventh place.
Next up was Sam Tordoff in his WSR run BMW in eighth, Josh Cook’s MG in ninth and rounding out the top ten finishers was Colin Turkington in his Silverline backed Subaru Levorg.
The Subaru team returned to being able to race this weekend after having to withdraw from Thruxton due to safety reasons. The team had suffered James Cole’s car catching fire at Donington and at Thruxton the team were suffering the same fuel system issues which had resulted in Cole’s fire, they took the decision to withdraw from the Thruxton weekend to prevent any issues occurring. The team have made some engine modifications and have fitted some new components to the car, they tested these changes during a two day test run at Pembrey Circuit located in Wales. The team were satisfied they have overcome the problems they were facing and all four cars are back for this weekend at Oulton Park.
The finishing positions of Free Practice One are as follows:
- Tom Ingram ~ Speedworks Motorsport
- Aron Smith ~ BKR
- Gordon Shedden ~ Halfords Yuasa Racing
- Andrew Jordan ~ Motorbase Performance
- Jack Goff ~ Team IHG Rewards Club
- Hunter Abbott ~ Power Maxed Racing
- Daniel Lloyd ~ Eurotech Racing
- Sam Tordoff ~ Team JCT600 with GardX
- Josh Cook ~ MG Racing RCIB Insurance
- Colin Turkington ~ Silverline Subaru BMR Racing
- Jake Hill ~ RCIB Insurance Racing
- Matt Neal ~ Halfords Yuasa Racing
- Aiden Moffat ~ Laser Tools Racing
- Ashley Sutton ~ MG Racing RCIB Insurance
- Mat Jackson ~ Motorbase Performance
- Warren Scott ~ Silverline Subaru BMR Racing
- Adam Morgan ~ WIX Racing
- Rob Collard ~ Team JCT600 with GardX
- Martin Depper ~ Eurotech Racing
- Michael Epps ~ RCIB Insurance Racing
- Rob Austin ~ Handy Motorsport
- Jeff Smith ~ Eurotech Racing
- Matt Simpson ~ Speedworks Motorsport
- Jason Plato ~ Silverline Subaru BMR Racing
- James Cole ~ Silverline Subaru BMR Racing
- Kelvin Fletcher ~ Power Maxed Racing
- Ollie Jackson ~ AmD Tuning.com
- Alex Martin ~ Dextra Racing
- Chris Smiley ~ TLC/RCIB Insurance Racing
- Daniel Welch ~ Goodstone Racing
- Stewart Lines ~ Maximum Motorsport
- Mark Howard ~ BKR
©Fay Tilley 5th June 2016