West Surrey Racing’s Rob Collard fought his way to win the second British Touring Car Championship. Collard was on the tail of Goff fighting for third place when BMR’s Colin Turkington and Jason Plato came together when battling for the lead which allowed Collard to bypass all three drivers and take the lead. The main talking point that occurred during the race was the battle between Turkington and Plato, the latter getting the better start of the two and managed to drive around the outside of teammate Turkington into the first corner. Turkington stayed on Plato’s bumper throughout the first few laps of the race and managed to retake the lead as they entered Tower on the fourth lap of the race. In the middle of the race Plato made contact with Turkington at Tower, both cars were sent sliding wide, Goff stamped on his brakes to avoid any contact with Collard making the most of the opportunity and taking the lead after taking avoiding action. Due to the closeness of Goff’s BMW to the two Subaru’s he was unable to take any kind of advantage, the Subaru’s straightened up with Plato taking second and Turkington now down in third with Goff following in fourth. The top four were unchanged throughout the remainder of the race. Collard took the win and his fiftieth podium in his BTCC career during his four-hundredth and first race in the championship.

A few seconds behind the leading four cars there was a battle for fifth, Sutton held off multiple competitors during the race to take fifth ahead of Mat Jackson in the Motorbase Ford Focus in sixth. Speedwork’s driver Tom Ingram held off WSR’s Sam Tordoff to take seventh with the latter taking eighth. Tordoff fought through and worked hard during the race, pulling off identical moves on Halfords Yuasa Racing’s Matt Neal and Motorbase’s Andrew Jordan. Jordan finished the race in ninth with Matt Neal taking tenth. Team BKR’s Aron Smith finished the race in eleventh with Rob Austin close behind in twelfth followed by Gordon Shedden. Fourteenth went to MG’s Josh Cook, Ollie Jackson took fifteenth with Matt Simpson behind in sixteenth. Seventeenth was Aiden Moffat, Jeff Smith took eighteenth, nineteenth was Hunter Abbott and rounding out the top twenty was Jake Hill. Stewart Lines took twenty-first followed by Kelvin Fletcher took twenty-second with Daniel Lloyd finishing in twenty-third. Twenty fourth was Chris Smiley, twenty fifth across the line was Alex Martin followed by Warren Scott in twenty-sixth and Mark Howard in twenty seventh. Rounding out the finishers was Martin Depper in twenty-eighth.

There were four non finishers during the second race; James Cole was the first lap casualty as he was unable to make it past the first corner before being fired into the gravel. Adam Morgan retired eighth laps down from the leaders with Michael Epps having to retire just five laps before the flag due to his alternator failing. The final casualty of the race was Daniel Welch, who retired with four laps of the race remaining.


©Fay Tilley 21st June 2016.