Douglas Motorsport’s Will Burns took his second win in the Michelin Ginetta GT4 Supercup during the fourth encounter of the weekend at Knockhill. Mark Davies was scheduled to start from pole position in the reverse grid race but he had to pull into the pits after the green flag lap due to a driveshaft failure. This put an end to his race before it had begun. Tom Hibbert now had a clear run into the first corner from second place, he took the race lead ahead of Supergreen Racing’s Ben Green. Will Burns and Tom Wrigley ran in third and fourth. Burns was soon up into second after he shot up past Green at the final hairpin. His attentions turned to chasing down and battling the leader as Wrigley battled with Green. Carl Boardley also joined in the battle behind Wrigley.

The battle for third was being closely fought between the three competitors but it was about to take a turn for the worse. Boardley clipped the rear of Wrigley, turning the championship leader around at the hairpin. To make matters worse Wrigley was then collected by TCR’s Callum Pointon. Boardley went on to recover to take fourth place behind Green. Wrigley and Pointon had to pit for repairs to the damage sustained. Wrigley just missed out on re-joining the track on the lead lap.

There was a short safety car period to allow marshals to remove the debris on track after the incident. When the race got back underway Burns put an immense amount of pressure onto Tom Hibbert for the race lead. He took his time and didn’t rush for the move, he waited until the opportunity arose to make the move. He got his chance to pass on the eighteenth lap of the race as he shot down the inside of Hibbert as they headed into Scotsman. Douglas Motorsport’s Will Burns was able to bring his car home to take the victory by 2.8 seconds. Tom Hibbert settled for second to take his maiden podium in the Supercup. Ben Green fought tooth and nail to keep Boardley firmly behind him to take third with the latter taking fourth.

In the AM class it was Colin White who took the win in fifth overall. Chris Ingram finished the race to take second in class in sixth on the road. Tom Wrigley was able to fight his way back up to finish in seventh place at the flag which secured him some vital championship points. David Brooks and Fraser Robertson also finished one lap down in eighth and ninth. TCR’s Callum Pointon finished two laps further back after his part in the earlier incident. Reece Somerfield, Grahame Tilley and Mike Newbold joined Mark Davies on the DNF’s list as they all retired throughout the race.


©Fay Tilley 15th August 2016.