Mike Bushell and Ant Whorton fought for the race one win with Bushell making a last lap move to take the win, this was before the stewards chose to hand the win to Ant Whorton-Eales after the race. They started the race with Bushell in second alongside Max Coates and Whorton-Eales in fourth alongside Josh Price, they were into the top two positions by the time the pack headed through Copse for the first time. Bushell held onto the advantage briefly before Whorton-Eales squeezed past by the end of the lap, the JamSport driver went on to lead the majority of the race. The chasing pack were squabbling behind but the top two were unable to break away, as the race developed there was an amazing eight car train fighting for the podium positions.

Whorton-Eales nearly lost the lead when he suffered a big slide through Brooklands but recovered his car in the lead as Bushell briefly dropped to third after Price dived down the inside when Whorton-Eales had his moment. Bushell soon got past teammate Price and was soon piling the pressure onto his championship rival. Bushell got down the inside at Brooklands on the penultimate lap of the race, he made the move stick into Copse for the final time and held on to the flag to take the fourth victory of the year.

Pole started Max Coates held onto third early in the race before losing out to price and championship returnee James Colburn on the second lap. Those three held on to the final spots inside the top five early in the race. The man constantly on the move was Paul Rivett, he climbed through from eleventh to take fourth at the end of lap twelve. Colburn dropped back down to sixth. Price finished in third securing his fourth podium of the season with Rivett and Coates keeping their title fight alive.

David Dickenson took seventh from Luke Kidsley late on in the race. Paul Streather showed sheer determination to battle his way through from nineteenth up to ninth despite feeling the after effects from his heavy crash at Copse in practice on Friday. Charlie Ladell finished in tenth. Chris Smiley finished in eleventh with Jake Giddings in twelfth and Senna Proctor taking thirteenth. Ollie Pidgley finished in fourteenth on the road before being given a five second penalty for track limits, demoting him down to sixteenth. Rory Collingbourne took fourteenth and Ben Davis took fifteenth. Pidgley did have the honour of finishing the race with his maiden fastest lap in the UK Clio Cup.

Post-race the stewards decided to hand the victory of the opening race of the weekend to Ant Whorton-Eales. The stewards deemed Bushell to have exceeded track limits when he made the move to take the lead of the race. The change in results hands Whorton-Eales his eighth win of the season so far with Bushell relegated to second with a time penalty. Bushell lodged an appeal but it was declined.


©Fay Tilley 18th September 2016.