Speedwork’s Tom Ingram claimed the win in the opening race of the weekend after MG’s Ashley Sutton and Josh Cook were disqualified for technical infringements after the race. Both of the MG RCIB Insurance drivers fought back from minor set backs off the line as Sutton lost first place to Ingram off the start and Cook was demoted to fourth by Motorbase’s Andrew Jordan.

Adam Morgan and Rob Austin traded positions during the race early on as battles kicked off all the way down the field. Three of the championship contenders were fighting for positions outside of the points scoring positions. Sam Tordoff, Rob Collard and Mat Jackson swapped paint for the majority of the race.

Josh Cook and Andrew Jordan made contact through the complex on lap four resulting in the MG6 getting through into third, Cook immediately set his focus to chasing down Ingram and Sutton. Sutton was past Ingram and in the lead of the race at the beginning of lap eight. Cook was soon closed in on Ingram, he got into Ingram’s Toyota at Maggotts four laps later. Despite putting up a valiant defence Ingram was unable to stop Cook passing, the MG pair went on to control the remainder of the race.

After the race both of the MG6s were disqualified from the race due to a technical infringement due to their rear wings being outside of the allowed tolerance. This handed the win to Ingram, both Sutton and Cook must start race two from the back of the grid carrying the ballast they would have had for winning and coming second. MG appealed against the decision on Cook’s car but this will be heard after the race weekend.

Jordan held on to a lonely fourth ahead of Rob Austin and Adam Morgan, both enjoyed an eye catching battle throughout the twenty-two lap encounter. After the MGs disqualification it promoted Jordan into second, Austin into third and Morgan into fourth. Jake Hill fought off quite a few drivers including Matt Neal and Gordon Shedden to secure fifth after the penalisation of the MGs. Both Hondas went on to suffer punctures late in the race. Neal suffered a puncture after contact with Aiden Moffat.

Team BKR’s Aron Smith managed to bring his VW home in sixth ahead of Rob Collard in seventh after fighting his way up from twenty-fifth on the grid. Colin Turkington fought from last on the grid to take eighth aboard his Subaru Levorg. Championship leader Tordoff scored a few points to maintain his lead in the championship from Neal and Shedden after neither scored a point. Aiden Moffat finished in ninth ahead of Jason Plato in tenth. Tordoff finished in eleventh with West Surrey stablemate Goff behind in twelfth. Power Maxed Racing’s Hunter Abbott finished in thirteenth with AmDTuning.com’s Ollie Jackson finishing in fourteenth. Eurotech racer Jeff Smith finished the race in fifteenth ahead of Team BKR’s Mark Howard in sixteenth and Motorbase’s Mat Jackson in seventeenth. Michael Epps fought through from twenty-ninth to finish in eighteenth ahead of Maximum Motorsport’s Stewart Lines in nineteenth and Speedworks Motorsport’s Matt Simpson in twentieth. Goodestone Racing’s Dan Welch finished the opening race in twenty-first ahead of Power Maxed’s Kelvin Fletcher and rounding out the finishers was Gordon Shedden.

There were four DNF’s during the opening race, these were; Matt Neal, Warren Scott, James Cole and Martin Depper. Two drivers were not classified, these were; Tony Gilham and Alex Martin and of course there were then the two MGs in the hands of Ashley Sutton and Josh Cook excluded from the results.


©Fay Tilley 18th September 2016.