Silverline Subaru BMR Racing’s Colin Turkington took the final pole position of the season at Brands Hatch, located in Kent.  The talented racer put in an incredible effort during the qualifying session, which obviously paid off to help his championship hopes the best he could. The session lasted for thirty minutes and was affected by a rain shower as well as a red flag after Team BKR’s Aron Smith dramatically rolled his Volkswagen CC. The double champion did not let the changing weather conditions or the stoppage put him off of aiming for the pole position, which he claimed.

Early on in the session it was Speedworks Motorsport’s Tom Ingram leading the times before Smith’s incident brought out a stoppage. The BKR driver came out of the roll uninjured but his VW machine looked a lot worse for wear, it looked like the Irishman suffered a tyre issue which saw him sliding into the gravel at Hawthorns before digging in and rolling over. The incident was quite a slow speed accident, the long delay to recover Smith’s car allowed for the rain to set in once again on the Kent circuit. Conditions began improving during the second part of the session, the lap times started getting closer to Ingram’s fastest time before Turkington was the first driver to break free by over a second. Ingram made a last attempt to retake the position but was just 0.006 seconds off of Turkington. Rob Austin in the Handy Motorsport Toyota Avensis and Jason Plato in one of the Team BMR Subaru Levorg’s completed the top four. The positions all changed post qualifying after Ingram was judged to have failed the ride height, meaning all his times were removed and he must start race one from the back of the grid. This promotes the Handy Motorsport onto the front row of the grid for the opening encounter with Jason Plato moving into third. Power Maxed Racing’s Hunter Abbott did his best qualifying of the season, taking fourth after Ingram being excluded. MG Triple Eight’s Josh Cook qualified in fifth aboard his MG6. Jack Goff aboard his IHG Rewards Club BMW finished in sixth ahead of reigning champion Gordon Shedden in the Halfords backed Honda Civic Type R.

The Mercedes pair, Aiden Moffat and Adam Morgan qualified in eighth and ninth. Team JCT600 with GardX’s Sam Tordoff finished the session in tenth ahead of Halfords backed driver Matt Neal in his Honda Civic Type R. Rob Collard finished the session in twelfth aboard his Team JCT600 with GardX BMW. Pirtek backed driver Andrew Jordan finished in thirteenth aboard his Motorbase run Ford Focus. Fourteenth on the timing screens was RCIB Insurance Racing’s Michael Epps with his Jack Sear’s title rival Ashley Sutton finishing in fifteenth.’s Ollie Jackson finished the session in sixteenth ahead of Speedwork’s Matt Simpson.  Eurotech Racing’s Martin Depper qualified in eighteenth with Motorbase’s Mat Jackson only managing to qualifying down in nineteenth. Rounding out the top twenty was RCIB Insurance Racing’s Jake Hill followed by Team BMR’s James Cole in twenty-first. Team BMR boss Warren Scott qualified in twenty-second with Team BKR’s Aron Smith qualifying in twenty-third. Dextra Racing’s Alex Martin qualified in twenty-fourth ahead of Power Maxed Racing’s Kelvin Fletcher in twenty-fifth. RCIB Insurance Racing (Team HARD) boss Tony Gilham finished the qualifying session in twenty-sixth. Goodestone Racing’s Daniel Welch finished in twenty-seventh ahead of Team BKR’s Mark Howard in twenty-eighth and Eurotech’s Jeff Smith in twenty-ninth. Stewart Lines finished the session in thirtieth for his Maximum Motorsport team. Tom Ingram sits last on the grid after having all of his times removed for the technical infringement of failing the ride height checks.

©Fay Tilley 3rd October 2016.