Tom Hibbert took his maiden victory in the Michelin Ginetta GT4 Supercup at Brands Hatch during race two, meaning the title will be going down to the wire. The decision to start on wet tyres was the key to Hibbert claiming his maiden win in the championship. His win came in one of the most action packed races during the season as the weather worsened and drivers that were on different tyres.

Tom Wrigley and Will Burns emerged from a tense race in eighth and fifth respectively, Wrigley holds a seven-point lead as they head into the final race of the season. Burns started the second race from pole position but got a slow start. Due to getting a slow start Carl Boardley and Tom Hibbert were able to jump past the Douglas Motorsport driver. Hibbert moved into the lead of the race by Hawthorns and went on to build up a lead of nearly seven seconds in the space of two laps. The advantage soon disappeared when the safety car was brought out. Jamie Orton was the first victim after suffering slight contact with Tom Wrigley in the braking zone at Stirlings, sending Orton sliding off the circuit into the gravel trap.

At the same corner on the next lap of the race Colin White had a spin which lead to contact with Fraser Robertson before hitting the barriers, leaving his car stranded on the circuit. Hibbert’s lead was wiped out but he led Boardley, Burns and Somerfield away on the restart but the latter was also on wet tyre compounds so he was able to quickly made his way up to second. Burns soon realised that any contact could damage his title chances and began slipping back. He lost a spot to Boardley and then again to Mitchell at Surtees.

Wrigley was having worst luck further back after having contact with Callum Pointon whilst under the safety car, causing rear end damage to the car. The damage began affecting the balance of the car, he was powerless to stop losing ground to Gaffney, Pointon and Bartholomew as the race began progressing. One of those places were given back to Wrigley as debutant Bartholomew unfortunately became the next driver to get caught out at Stirlings, spinning on the exit kerb and having hefty contact with the barriers. Due to the car being stranded the safety car was called out. When the field were behind the safety car the rain began to fall, bringing the race to a premature end.

Due to the race being stopped early it handed the win to Hibbert with Somerfield taking second, his first podium since the Brands Hatch opening rounds in April. Boardley finished the race in third, Mitchell took fourth, Burns in fifth, Gaffney in sixth and Pointon in seventh ahead of Wrigley in eighth. Mark Davies took ninth after pitting on the green flag lap to switch to wet tyres. Ben Green finished in tenth ahead of Jamie Stanley in eleventh.

In the AM class newly crowned champion Colin White was unable to finish, David Brooks climbed up from the back of the grid to take the class win ahead of Fraser Robertson and Chris Ingram.


©Fay Tilley 5th October 2016.