Aiden Moffat took his maiden win aboard his Laser Tools Racing Mercedes A-Class in the British Touring Car Championship at Donington Park. Moffat made immense progress during the past few seasons but no doubt this was his best drive from fourth on the grid to take a well deserved win. On the opening lap of the race Moffat passed Eurotech’s Jack Goff before slicing his way into second with a superb pass around Rob Austin at the Old Hairpin on lap two. Moffat was all over the rear of Tom Ingram and made his move on lap five, they ran alongside before Moffat got the pass completed as they ran down the Craner Curves.
Ingram was shuffled further down the order after Austin managed to pass by with Matt Neal and Colin Turkington taking the opportunity to follow him through. Neal managed to pass Handy Motorsport’s Rob Austin on lap fifteen to take second place. With Neal and Austin battling one another until the flag it let Moffat open up a fairly big lead. Neal took the flag in second with Austin in third. Team BMW’s Colin Turkington finished the opening race in fourth.
Tom Ingram managed to hang on to take fifth place ahead of a charging Rob Collard, the Team BMW driver managed to get away from Adam Morgan and Gordon Shedden on the penultimate tour of the race.
Eurotech Racing’s Jeff Smith started the race in ninth and also finished the opening race in ninth after making up and losing places throughout the race.
Team Parker with Maximum Motorsport’s Josh Cook finished the opening race in tenth place after benefitting from an incident involving both of the MGs/
A number of cars were out of contention in the race after multiple incidents, those drivers were; Jake Hill, Martin Depper and James Cole. Later on in the race Chilton suffered from damaged suspension so was forced to retire at the side of the circuit. At the same area of the circuit Chris Smiley lost a wheel and had to retire at the side of the track. Another driver who had their race ended early was Autoaid/RCIB Insurance Racing’s Michael Epps after he found himself stranded in a gravel trap against the tyre barrier.
The full finishing classification:
- Aiden Moffat – Laser Tools Racing
- Matt Neal – Halfords Yuasa Racing
- Rob Austin – Handy Motorsport
- Colin Turkington – Team BMW
- Tom Ingram – Speedworks Motorsport
- Rob Collard – Team BMW
- Adam Morgan – Ciceley Motorsport
- Gordon Shedden – Halfords Yuasa Racing
- Jeff Smith – Eurotech Racing
- Josh Cook – Team Parker with Maximum Motorsport
- Mat Jackson – Team Shredded Wheat with Duo
- Jack Goff – Eurotech Racing
- Ashley Sutton – Adrian Flux Subaru Racing
- Senna Proctor – Power Maxed Racing
- Andrew Jordan – BMW Pirtek Racing
- Ant Whorton-Eales – AmDTuning.com with Cobra Exhausts
- Ollie Jackson – AmDTuning.com with Cobra Exhausts
- Matt Simpson – Simpson Racing
- Luke Davenport – Team Shredded Wheat with Duo
- Dave Newsham – BTC Norlin Racing
- Stephen Jelley – Team Parker with Maximum Motorsport
- Josh Price – Adrian Flux Subaru Racing
- Will Burns – Autoaid/RCIB Insurance Racing
- Aron Taylor-Smith – MG Racing RCIB Insurance.
DNF – Daniel Lloyd – MG Racing RCIB Insurance
DNF – Michael Epps – Autoaid/RCIB Insurance Racing
DNF – Chris Smiley – BTC Norlin Racing
DNF – Tom Chilton – Power Maxed Racing
DNF – Jason Plato – Adrian Flux Subaru Racing
DNF – James Cole – Adrian Flux Subaru Racing
DNF – Martin Depper – Team Shredded Wheat with Duo
DNF – Jake Hill – TAG Racing
Photo Credit: Jakob Ebrey Photography
©Fay Tilley 17th April 2017