Qualifying for round twenty-two took place at Rockingham, located in Corby, at 15:30 on Saturday 26th August. After the initial first few laps had been completed it was Halfords Yuasa Racing’s Matt Neal who was sitting on top of the timing screens with Team BMW’s Colin Turkington close behind in second.
After ten minutes of the session had been completed it was Eurotech Racing’s Jack Goff who launched his Honda Civic Type R on to provisional pole for the opening encounter. At the same time Team Shredded Wheat Racing with Duo’s Rory Butcher jumped himself up to seventh. Speedworks Motorsport’s Tom Ingram then set two fastest laps one after the other to jump to the top before Jack Goff then topped Ingram’s time to retake provisional pole. At this moment the top twenty-three cars were covered by less than a second.
The next man on the move was Colin Turkington, launching his BMW 125i M Sport into third whilst carrying maximum ballast. Matt Neal then bumped Team BMR’s James Cole down the order after jumping into fourth.
With just ten minutes of the session remaining it was; Jack Goff, Tom Ingram, Colin Turkington, Matt Neal, Tom Chilton, James Cole, Jason Plato and Mat Jackson. Ashley Sutton then jumped into the top ten when he fired up into third place…at this moment it was twenty-six cars covered by a second. James Cole improved his time to jump into sixth, making it all four Subaru Levorgs inside the top ten. The Team BMR driver then went fastest to claim his maiden pole position in the BTCC.
With three minutes of the session remaining the order was; James Cole, Jack Goff, Tom Ingram, Ashley Sutton, Adam Morgan, Colin Turkington, Matt Neal, Tom Chilton, Jason Plato and Mat Jackson.
1. James Cole – Adrian Flux Subaru Racing
2. Jack Goff – Eurotech Racing
3. Tom Ingram – Speedworks Motorsport
4. Ashley Sutton – Adrian Flux Subaru Racing
5. Colin Turkington – Team BMW
6. Adam Morgan – Ciceley Motorsport
7. Matt Neal – Halfords Yuasa Racing
8. Josh Cook – MG Racing RCIB Insurance
9. Tom Chilton – Power Maxed Racing
10. Jason Plato – Adrian Flux – Subaru Racing
11. Mat Jackson – Team Shredded Wheat Racing with Duo
12. Josh Price – A-Plan Academy
13. Aron Taylor – Smith – MG Racing RCIB Insurance
14. Ollie Jackson – AmDtuning.com with Cobra Exhausts
15. Michael Epps – Auto Aid/RCIB Insurance Racing
16. Gordon Shedden – Halfords Yuasa Racing
17. Dave Newsham – BTC Norlin Racing
18. Andrew Jordan – BMW Pirtek Racing
19. Ant Whorton – Eales – AmDtuning.com with Cobra Exhausts
20. Rob Collard – Team BMW
21. Rory Butcher – Team Shredded Wheat Racing with Duo
22. Senna Proctor – Power Maxed Racing
23. Rob Austin – Handy Motorsport
24. Stephen Jelley – Team Parker with Maximum Motorsport
25. Chris Smiley – BTC Norlin Racing
26. Brett Smith – Eurotech Racing
27. Matt Simpson – Simpson Racing
28. Aiden Moffat – Laser Tools Racing
29. Martin Depper – Team Shredded Wheat Racing with Duo
30. Will Burns – Auto Aid/RCIB Insurance Racing
31. Jake Hill – TAG Racing
32. Stewart Lines – Team Parker with Maximum Motorsport
Photo source: btcc.net
© Fay Tilley 26th August 2017