Adrian Flux with Subaru Racing’s James Cole took his first win in the British Touring Car Championship at Rockingham during race one of the day. He was followed home by teammate Ash Sutton with Eurotech Racing’s Jack Goff rounding out the rostrum.
Cole got a good start off the line and led the pack into turn one. Team BMW’s Colin Turkington got a great start and jumped in to third ahead of Ash Sutton with Goff holding on to second. For the opening laps the leading two were nose to tail.
On the second lap MG Racing RCIB Insurance’s Josh Cook and Team BMR’s Ash Sutton were battling hard with the two former teammates swapping positions. Sutton running in P3 and Cook in P4.
Lap four saw Team BMW’s Rob Collard pull a good move to pass Handy Motorsport’s Rob Austin to take nineteenth at Deene. Cole’s leading margin was 0.4 seconds but the three cars behind were beginning to bunch up. This made it four cars battling for the lead of the race on lap five.
On lap five Ciceley Motorsport’s Adam Morgan looked to have passed Power Maxed Racing’s Tom Chilton before the Vauxhall driver pounced back and retook eighth. Morgan made the move stick on the following lap.
The order on lap eight of the race was; James Cole, Jack Goff, Ash Sutton, Josh Cook, Matt Neal, Colin Turkington, Mat Jackson, Adam Morgan, Tom Chilton and Jason Plato. Rob Collard made a blinding move to pass Halfords Yuasa Racing’s Gordon Shedden to take eighteenth on lap nine. The following lap saw Auto Aid/RCIB Insurance Racing’s Michael Epps take advantage of AmD’s Ant Whorton Eales and MG Racing RCIB Insurance’s Aron Taylor-Smith squabbling, allowing the VW driver through into fifteenth.
Gordon Shedden was shuffled down the order after suffering from a puncture on his right front tyre, resulting in calling into the pits. On lap fourteen Goff appeared to be struggling with his tyres after being reeled in by Sutton.
On the following lap Halfords Yuasa Racing’s Neal was late onto the brakes as they headed into Deene, running out wide and letting Turkington through into fifth before retaking the spot. On lap sixteen Sutton managed to pass Goff to take second place, making it a Subaru 1-2.
1) James Cole – Adrian Flux Subaru Racing
2) Ash Sutton – Adrian Flux Subaru Racing
3) Jack Goff – Eurotech Racing
4) Josh Cook – MG Racing RCIB Insurance
5) Matt Neal – Halfords Yuasa Racing
6) Colin Turkington – Team BMW
7) Mat Jackson – Team Shredded Wheat Racing with Duo
8) Adam Morgan – Ciceley Motorsport
9) Josh Price – A-Plan Academy
10) Jason Plato – Adrian Flux Subaru Racing
11) Tom Chilton – Power Maxed Racing
12) Andrew Jordan – BMW Pirtek Racing
13) Dave Newsham – BTC Norlin Racing
14) Ollie Jackson – AmDtuning.com with Cobra Exhausts
15) Michael Epps – Auto aid/RCIB Insurance Racing
16) Aron Taylor – Smith – MG Racing RCIB Insurance
17) Rob Collard – Team BMW
18) Ant Whorton – Eales – AmDtuning.com with Cobra Exhausts
19) Aiden Moffat – Laser Tools Racing
20) Chris Smiley – BTC Norlin Racing
21) Senna Proctor – Power Maxed Racing
22) Martin Depper – Team Shredded Wheat Racing with Duo
23) Will Burns – Auto Aid/RCIB Insurance Racing
24) Jake Hill – TAG Racing
25) Rory Butcher – Team Shredded Wheat Racing with Duo
26) Stephen Jelley – Team Parker with Maximum Motorsport
27) Brett Smith – Eurotech Racing
28) Matt Simpson – Simpson Racing
29) Stewart Lines – Team Parker with Maximum Motorsport
30) Gordon Shedden – Halfords Yuasa Racing
31) Rob Austin – Handy Motorsport
DNF – Tom Ingram – Speedworks Motorsport
Photo source: btcc.net
© Fay Tilley 27th August 2017.