Qualifying for the British Touring Car Championship took place at just after 3pm around the Silverstone national circuit. The drivers carrying success ballast during the session due to championship standings were; Ashley Sutton – 75kg, Colin Turkington – 66kg, Gordon Shedden – 57kg, Rob Collard – 48kg, Tom Ingram – 39kg, Andrew Jordan – 33kg, Matt Neal – 27kg, Mat Jackson – 15kg, Jack Goff – 15kg and Jason Plato – 9kg.
As the first flying laps were coming in it was Team BMR’s James Cole who was leading the way on top of the timing screens from Team BMW’s Rob Collard and BMW Pirtek Racing’s Andrew Jordan. Just three minutes later the top six were; Jack Goff, Colin Turkington, Ashley Sutton, Andrew Jordan, Matt Neal and James Cole. The three WSR BMW’s worked together throughout the session to give one another help. After topping the times Goff went on to have a huge slide at Brooklands on the following lap but kept the Eurotech Racing Honda Civic Type R on the track.
With twenty minutes of the session remaining the timing screens read; Goff, Adam Morgan, Neal, Rob Austin, Turkington, Jake Hill, Jason Plato, Brett Smith, Ollie Jackson and Tom Ingram. Championship leader Ashley Sutton appeared to be struggling down in eighteenth with his closest championship rival Colin Turkington sitting in fifth.
The order with just eleven minutes to go was; Goff, Morgan, Neal, Hill, Smith, Austin, Turkington, Rory Butcher, Dave Newsham and Mat Jackson. The top thirty-one cars at this moment were covered by less than a second. With five minutes remaining Speedworks Motorsport’s Tom Ingram jumped into second, just 0.001 second off of the pole time whilst Goff had a lap time removed for exceeding track limits.
Four minutes of the session remained when Team BMR’s Jason Plato was black flagged due to too many track limits infringements. At this moment in the session the whole thirty-two car field was covered by under a second!
Jack Goff secured himself pole position at his ‘home round’ ahead of Tom Ingram in second. History was made by the whole field being covered by under a second during this qualifying session.
1) Jack Goff – Eurotech Racing
2) Tom Ingram – Speedworks Motorsport
3) Adam Morgan – Ciceley Motorsport
4) Matt Neal – Halfords Yuasa Racing
5) Jake Hill – TAG Racing
6) Rob Austin – Handy Motorsport
7) Ant Whorton-Eales – AmDTuning.com with Cobra Exhausts
8) Colin Turkington – Team BMW
9) Brett Smith – Eurotech Racing
10) Ashley Sutton – Adrian Flux Subaru Racing
11) Jason Plato – Adrian Flux Subaru Racing
12) Gordon Shedden – Halfords Yuasa Racing
13) James Cole – Adrian Flux Subaru Racing
14) Rory Butcher – Team Shredded Wheat Racing with Duo
15) Dave Newsham – BTC Norlin Racing
16) Andrew Jordan – BMW Pirtek Racing
17) Mat Jackson – Team Shredded Wheat Racing with Duo
18) Josh Cook – MG Racing RCIB Insurance
19) Josh Price – A-Plan Academy
20) Chris Smiley – BTC Norlin Racing
21) Ollie Jackson – AmDTuning.com with Cobra Exhausts
22) Rob Collard – Team BMW
23) Martin Depper – Team Shredded Wheat Racing with Duo
24) Aiden Moffat – Laser Tools Racing
25) Michael Epps – Auto Aid/RCIB Insurance Racing
26) Will Burns – Auto Aid/RCIB Insurance Racing
27) Aron Taylor-Smith – MG Racing RCIB Insurance
28) Rob Huff – Power Maxed Racing
29) Senna Proctor – Power Maxed Racing
30) Stewart Lines – Team Parker with Maximum Motorsport
31) Matt Simpson – Simpson Racing
32) Stephen Jelley – Team Parker with Maximum Motorsport
Photo Credit: btcc.net
© Fay Tilley – 16th September 2017