Race three of the day got underway at 17:28, pole-sitter Dave Newsham bogged down on the line which allowed Rob Huff to take the lead of the race. Colin Turkington got sideways at Brooklands after contact, dropping him down to twenty-first.
Jason Plato ran wide on the final turn resulting in contact with Josh Cook leaving Ollie Jackson and Stephen Jelley nowhere. Turkington couldn’t slow in time and went straight into Jelley, resulting in the championship contender needing to pit as a turbo pipe had come off.
Lap four and the safety car was deployed. The order behind the safety car was; Huff, Newsham, Tom Ingram, Adam Morgan, Michael Epps, Gordon Shedden, Chris Smiley, Matt Neal, Jack Goff and Rob Austin. Whilst the safety car was circulating shots of Jason Plato enjoying a beer were displayed across the ITV4 coverage of the race.
On lap eight the race was back underway, Ingram was straight up the inside of Dave Newsham to take second. Ingram was then right on the tail of Huff whilst Newsham held off a number of cars whilst holding on to third.
Shedden lost out on lap twelve after running wide at Copse, dropping to seventh. Ingram was refusing to give Huff any breathing space as he climbed all over the rear bumper trying to pass at every opportunity.
Lap fifteen saw Shedden spin, shuffling him down the order. He narrowly missed collecting a rapid Michael Epps. On the following lap the order was; Huff, Morgan, Neal, Newsham, Ingram, Austin, Goff, Smiley, Jordan and Epps in the top ten. On lap seventeen Matt Neal managed to pass Morgan and began chasing down Huff. The latter placed his car perfectly in every part of the circuit to hold Neal off.
Sutton managed to make his way up into the points, P15 by lap nineteen. The battle for third began to heat up on lap twenty between Newsham, Morgan, Ingram and Austin. On lap twenty-one Neal managed to nip past Huff at Becketts. The order after that move was; Neal, Huff, Newsham, Ingram, Austin, Morgan, Smiley, Jordan, Goff and Mat Jackson.
Progress was still being made on lap twenty-two by Ashley Sutton as he managed to climb into twenty-first. The BTC Norlin duo were running in third for Newsham and seventh for Smiley.
Matt Neal won from Rob Huff in second and Dave Newsham in third.
1) Matt Neal – Halfords Yuasa Racing
2) Rob Huff – Power Maxed Racing
3) Dave Newsham – BTC Norlin Racing
4) Tom Ingram – Speedworks Motorsport
5) Rob Austin – Handy Motorsport
6) Adam Morgan – Ciceley Motorsport
7) Chris Smiley – BTC Norlin Racing
8) Andrew Jordan – BMW Pirtek Racing
9) Jack Goff – Eurotech Racing
10) Mat Jackson – Team Shredded Wheat Racing with Duo
11) Ashley Sutton – Adrian Flux Subaru Racing
12) Michael Epps – Auto Aid/RCIB Insurance Racing
13) Ant Whorton-Eales – AmDtuning.com with Cobra Exhausts
14) Aiden Moffat – Laser Tools Racing
15) James Cole – Adrian Flux Subaru Racing
16) Martin Depper – Team Shredded Wheat Racing with Duo
17) Aron Taylor-Smith – MG Racing RCIB Insurance
18) Senna Proctor – Power Maxed Racing
19) Brett Smith – Eurotech Racing
20) Matt Simpson – Simpson Racing
21) Gordon Shedden – Halfords Yuasa Racing
22) Colin Turkington – Team BMW
DNF – Josh Cook – MG Racing RCIB Insurance
DNF – Jake Hill – TAG Racing
DNF – Rory Butcher – Team Shredded Wheat Racing with Duo
DNF – Josh Price – A-Plan Academy
27) Jason Plato – Adrian Flux Subaru Racing
DNF – Stephen Jelley – Team Parker with Maximum Motorsport
DNF – Ollie Jackson – AmDtuning.com with Cobra Exhausts
DNF – Stewart Lines – Team Parker with Maximum Motorsport
Photo Credit: btcc.net
© Fay Tilley 17th September 2017.